The Best Macaroni and Cheese I Ever Ate
Inspired by Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" series, I've decided to compile a short list of the best macaroni and cheese I've ever eaten. Mac and cheese has long been my favorite food, dating back to my Velveeta days.
Thankfully, my palate has matured since then, although I am not above making some Kraft macaroni and cheese..."the blue box blues."A bowl of the creamy, cheesy pasta is comforting and enough to cure any bad day. So with that, I present to you my top five macaroni and cheese dishes.
1. My Mama's. What were you expecting? I dare you to find a Black girl who doesn't rate her mom's macaroni and cheese at the top of the pack. Sure, the calories may be too high to count, but it tastes like home every time. It's also the first homemade dish I learned how to cook on my own, so it holds a special place in my heart.
2. Stephanie's in Greensboro, North Carolina. Heaven forbid anything ever happen to my mom, I know exactly where to go to get some quality, homemade mac and cheese. Seriously. If you've never been, stop what you're doing and plan a road trip down South. You can thank me later.
3. Rocket to Venus in Hampden, Maryland. Asiago and cheddar cream sauce. Yummm. Okay, yes, I pick the olives out. But this grown-up version of a kiddie favorite is so worth it. A special thank you to my friends who put up with my random cravings.
4. Panera Bread. Yea, I said it, Panera Bread. I fell even more in love with this place when they introduced white cheddar macaroni and cheese to the menu. I imagine this is what heaven's clouds taste like, you know, if you could eat them.
5. 10 Pin in Chicago, Illinois. From the menu, "cavatappi baked with Wisconsin smoked cheddar, fresh herbs and breadcrumbs." You had me at "cavatappi." Count. Me. In!
So...what's the best macaroni and cheese you've ever had? And please tell me where, so I can try it. Thank you!